- 2023 Classes
- Spinning 102
Instructor: Karen Chabinsky
Required Skills: Have been spinning for about a year but need help taking the next step.
Class Description: Solving the problems of lumpy, bumpy yarns, yarns that are never evenly spun, plying solutions and general issues you have at this stage are the goals of this class. We will do a review at the start of class to focus on areas of individual concern. We will also cover how to create an evenly spun yarn, understand the twist process, how to determine your wheel ratio, and breaking down the various spinning methods like long draw, modified long draw, etc., and cover “hard to spin” fibers with sampling during class.
Students Should Bring to Class:
- Spinning wheel in good working condition
- Spare parts if needed, eg: drive band, threading hook, etc.
- Wool roving to spin – 2 ounces
- Wool top to spin – 2 ounces
- Bring a skein or two of fiber you have already spun
Supplies Provided by Instructor (included in Materials Fee):
- Fiber to sample during class, includes silk and Alpaca
Time: 9:00 to 12:00
Cost: $103 (include $10 materials fee)