- 2023 Classes
- Portuguese Knitting Technique
Portuguese Knitting Technique
Instructor: Lisa Ellis
Required Skills: Advanced beginner. Must be able to recognize knits and purls and be able to knit in the round comfortably.
Class Description: Portuguese knitting is a smooth, easy and fast technique involving only a flick of the thumb. With minimal hand movement, this style of knitting is ergonomically gentle on your hands and wrists. Portuguese knitting is also an ideal method when knitting in Fair Isle. We start with a new way to hold our yarn, a simple Portuguese cast on and then practice both knitting and purling our project inside out! We'll also practice working in color (optional) which will have you addicted in no time as it minimizes the chance of puckering.
Student Should Bring to Class:
- Approx 140 yds in Aran weight yarn
- Approx 40 yds of a contrasting color in Aran weight yarn (optional)
- US size 8 & 9, 16" circular needles and DPN's for crown shaping
- Basic knitting supplies (stitch markers, scissors...)
Supplies Provided by Instructor (included in the Materials Fee): Portuguese knitting pin
Time: 1:00 to 4:00
Cost: $58 (includes $8 materials fee)