Weaving 102 – Move your Weaving to the Next Level
Instructor: Karen Chabinsky
Required Skills: Have been weaving for a year or so and are looking for techniques to help you move to the next level.
Class Description: Have you been weaving for about a year and know you can do better? You just need some help and answers to the questions – then this class is your answer. You will bring a ready to weave loom, per above instructions. You will weave in class, samples in plain weave and twills. We will look at your weaving and discuss areas of improvement. You will learn the what (you are doing), how (to fix it), along with in-depth information on additional areas you should be aware of. This class will help you to fix the wonky selvedges, correcting threading errors, and a variety of other issues we see as weavers. We will also cover various weaving tools that may help you in your weaving.
Students Should Bring to Class:
- Table loom threaded as straight draw
- Wind a warp of 2 colors making 4 columns of stripes
- 1 ½ to 2 yards warp of 3/2 cotton
- Ready to weave with footer already in
- Bring appropriate shuttles, and yarn to weave along with any other accouterments you would use such as scissors, etc.
- Formulas are:
12 EPI x fill in width of your loom x 1 ½ or 2 yards = ________ (warp)
12 PPI x fill in width of your loom x warp length less loom waste =
Note: Don’t forget to bring cotton for the weft
- Bring some extra weft fiber, 2 different fibers, that are not cotton.
Time: 12:00 to 4:00